University of Calgary
UofC Navigation

Stay Connected

Field School Information

Fac. of Science IT Support


Department of Geoscience

Earth Science 118
2500 University Dr. NW
Calgary, AB T2N 1N4 Canada
T. 403.220.5184
F. 403.284-0074

General Inquiries:

> Additional Contacts...

Driving Authorization

To DRIVE a University vehicle, you must be an AUTHORIZED DRIVER. Electronic authorization is  required. Go to:, select from the left hand menu. Use for the authorizing e-mail to approve the application.  Drivers must be over 21 years of age and hold a valid class 5 license (no learners or graduated license).  Please select the category you fit in grad student, undergrad or employee (only if you are a faculty or staff member not teaching assistants).  All students are required to arrange for a drivers abstract to be sent to Risk Management before they will be permitted to drive.  Please read the instruction carefully on the website so you can get reimbursed for the Alberta drivers abstract.

Drivers who do not hold an Alberta driver's license must provide a driver's abstract from their home province or country detailing their driving history from the past 3 years.  All fees associated with this are the responsibility of the applicant.  Failure to produce a driver's abstract will result in suspension of your University of Calgary driving privileges.

Note that undergraduate applicants may only drive University vehicles in a convoy with other University vehicles driven by employees (faculty staff or graduate students).  Except in emergency situations, undergraduate drivers must never drive a lone vehicle without another U of C employee being present in the vehicle with them.