This award recognizes outstanding research or scholarship of academic staff in the Department of Geoscience. Recipients of this award have a record of excellent contributions and innovations that have had a demonstrable impact in their field of expertise or more broadly. They set a high standard of academic excellence for other faculty members, graduate and undergraduate students, technical staff and the greater community.
No monetary remuneration is associated with this award. Recipient will receive a certificate and have their name placed on a Departmental plaque.
Research and Scholarship Excellence Awards are open to ALL academic staff (including limited term, contingent term and continuing appointments) in the Department of Geoscience. The nominee must be the principal investigator, co-investigator, or a significant contributor to research in the Department of Geoscience.
A variety of activities that contribute to research excellence, including:
- Substantial contributions to the advancement of science, earning distinction for the researcher/scholar and for the Department;
- A record of external funding with communication of work within scientific or interdisciplinary conferences or published literature;
- Receipt of individual grants, prizes, or fellowships from external foundations and granting agencies, which enable and enhance future research;
- Development of powerful methods of applying theory to practice;
- Application of existing knowledge to guide network activity and ensure new knowledge becomes a resource for others;
- Involvement in leadership activities to generate research interest and awareness;
- Identification and cultivation of external academic relationships to increase opportunities for creative collaboration with leading research institutes and consortia.
Any academic member in the Department of Geoscience with direct knowledge of the nominee’s contributions. Self-nominations will not be accepted.
- Fill out the nomination form
- Write a short letter of nomination (1 page or less) explaining why the candidate is worthy of the award, addressing the criteria above.
- Combine both of the above into a SINGLE PDF and email to the Department Head:
under the subject line: “Geoscience Award nomination”.
DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF NOMINATIONS: February 1 of award year